Monday, September 04, 2006

Riding the Wave

I first read about riding waves as an analogy by Ricky Warren - in the "Purpose Driven Church" Book. (The better book of the purpose driven series in my opinion.)

None the less, he uses this analogy to describe the navigations of good ministry vs. great ministry. God is the great wave provider and the world is our ocean for ministry.

Ministry comes in a lot of forms these days - many of which are great forms. But the sport of catching the "great wave" seems lost. I know it was for me. I was looking to catch a ride on a ship already at sea - looking to take a better course.

But thank God the ocean is huge and surfing is a great sport. Man against the wave. (world) An incredible mission with an impossible feat. Imagine taking the world's momentum and using it for your journey.

"The Tampa Project" is more than a ride and more than just a wave. For me - I believe it is "the wave." It is a declaration of a coming tsunami - a change in church culture and experience. I believe God is orchestrating a cataclysmic shift within church culture. It all starts by heading back into the city and reclaiming it's heart.

Here's how I expressed it to some friends and family: "This is one of those waves that most guys dream about. It is high enough to drown me, but strong enough to change the sport. Sure there will be a lot to be said about how we navigate it, but the Wave of all Waves will clearly be what the world will talk about."

In the coming weeks and months I will begin to empower a prayer team, recruit a team of staff and families, and raise financial support. It is my heart that these next few months be as little about me and as much about what God is doing in Tampa.

Pray for us - the Schaffner family. This is an adventure, but it is still an ocean. And in the ocean, there are rocks, reefs, undertow, sharks and in honor of Steve Irwin - stingrays.

Safe surfing and may God be honored in our sport.